This is not the blog post I intended to write; I had to create an entire new category on blog for this post. I wanted to write about other things. But I have a plea to make.
It’s Monday night, and my Tumblr queue is stocked like the beginning of many people’s ends may not start with the results of the election Wednesday. My emotional support cat sits nearby grooming herself; I drink Celestial matcha green tea. Tomorrow I will go to the grocery store and do more work and then wait for Wednesday morning. I will not stay up to watch the election results. I will wake up on Wednesday morning and know almost immediately the moment I get online before I go to therapy.
Someone I don’t actually know on Tumblr put it best when they said that voting for Trump is going to kill people if he wins, and not because we’ll suddenly be in 1930s Europe. Our rights would not disappear overnight. They would disappear slowly and then later, all at once. More people will die if Trump wins; it will be because all the things we have that help people will slowly cease to exist, violent hate crimes will increase sharply, human rights violations will skyrocket, and we will stop being able to talk about it. We will cut benefits as sharply as the U.K. and more. They wrapped up the post with:
And we will die. Either through neglect or our own hands. But we WILL die. And you won’t know it because no one will talk about it. One day you’ll look up and there will be another hole where an entire generation has been ripped away from life for no other reason than being who they were.
I know we already have human rights violations and hate crimes and that our welfare net for disabled people, low-income people, and anyone else who needs help is not enough. I know this country is not the land of the free for some people. I know this country could do so much better. I know people are worried about Clinton’s foreign policy. Do you really think Trump would be better? Would a third party or write-in protest vote save more people when it might help elect Trump?
Trump would make everything unbearably worse. So many more of us would die.
Please don’t vote Trump. Please don’t vote third party – this is not that election.
Related Posts and Articles
- Voting for Trump is going to kill people
- Why I’m not supporting Jill Stein
- Bernie Sanders discourages third-party voting
- I voted for Nader and I’m so, so sorry
- In The Hospital on Election Day? You Can Still Vote. Here’s How
- Election Protection Hotlines information (multiple languages)
- How to call for help if your voting rights are violated or you have questions about voting, with a variety of resources, including:
- ASL hotlines for Deaf/HoH voters
- Election Protection hotlines information
- National Federation of the Blind resources for Blind/low vision voters
- Department of Justice online complaint form for voting rights violations
- Rooted in Rights Disability Vote Page
- Voting While Trans: Preparing for Voter ID Laws (from National Center for Transgender Equality)
- Voting Day Hotlines for Polling Place and Voter Issues (from National Council on Independent Living)
- Voting with a Disability: What You Need To Know
- Plain Language Voting Guide for People with Disabilities (from Autistic Self Advocacy Network)
- Voting Tips for the Neurologically Interesting (from Reports of a Resident Alien)
- Disabled voters can contact their nearest Disability Rights P&A about access barriers and rights violations (List of NDRN member agencies)